İYİ AKŞAMLAR
DEDİ VE ÖYLECE GİTTİ
"Nerede bir insan varsa, orada
iyilik yapma fırsatı vardır."
— Seneca
"Ofisin şakasıydı. Sonra bir gün
sessizce gitti. Ardında ilk kez kahkaha değil, boşluk kaldı."
🎵 The Boxer
– Simon & Garfunkel
***
İş hayatımın henüz altıncı ayındaydım. Yurt
dışına giden çalışma arkadaşımın yerine geçmiş, yeni görev ve sorumluluklara
alışmaya çalışıyordum. Aslında bütün hikâye, benim için yurt dışına gidebilme
ihtimaliydi. O hedefe ulaşmak için askerliği bile tecil ettirmek adına yüksek
lisansa yazılmıştım. Her şey, o sıranın bir gün bana gelmesi içindi.
O sıra gerçekten gelmişti.
Tam o günlerde, devredeceğim işleri anlatacağım
yeni bir çalışma arkadaşı aramıza katıldı.
Bond çantası, hızlı ama düzensiz adımları ve
sürekli öne eğik yürüyüşüyle ilk anda bile farklı olduğunu hissettirmişti.
Heyecanlıydı; ama bu heyecan öğrenmeye değil, sürekli bir tedirginliğe
dönüşüyordu.
Anlattığım hiçbir şey ilk seferde yerine
oturmuyordu. Aynı sorular tekrar tekrar geliyordu. Bir süre sonra
konuşmalarımız bilgi aktarımı olmaktan çıkmış, yankıya dönüşmüştü. Sanki boş
bir odada kendi sesimi dinliyordum.
Zamanla yaptığı her işte benim onayımı beklemeye
başladı. Onay almadan atılan her adım yanlış çıkıyor, yanlış çıkan her adım
yeniden bana dönüyordu. Devretmek istediğim yük, fark etmeden yeniden benim
üzerime kalmıştı.
Bir gün bana “pirim” demeye başladı.
Bu hitap kısa sürede ofise yayıldı. “Biz bunca
yıl pir olamadık, altı ayda nasıl oldun?” diye takılmalar başladı. Gülüyordum.
Ama bazen o gülüşün içinde kendime dışarıdan bakıyormuş gibi hissediyordum.
O ise bunu dert etmiyordu. Ya da etmiyormuş gibi
görünüyordu.
Kısa sürede herkesle yakınlaştı. Ama iş, bir
türlü onunla yakınlaşmadı.
Diğer arkadaşlar artık ona adıyla değil,
soyadıyla hitap ediyorlardı. Önce soyadı kısaldı, yalnızca ilk hecesi
kullanılmaya başlandı. Sonra buna yeni eklemeler yapıldı, her gün başka bir
biçime dönüşüyordu. Ofisin eğlence kaynağı hâline gelmişti. İlginç olan, onun
bundan rahatsız görünmemesiydi. Bazen ofistekiler mi onunla dalga geçiyordu,
yoksa o mu tuhaf tavırlarıyla herkesi kendi oyununa mı çekiyordu, bunu
anlamakta zorlanıyordum.
Ben bu oyuna hiç girmedim.
Benim tek derdim onun işi öğrenmesi ve benim o
hedefe—yurt dışına—bir adım daha yaklaşmamdı.
Bir gün bana cüzdanını gösterdi. İçinde Bobby
Fischer’ın bir fotoğrafı vardı.
“Satrancı severim,” dedi.
Sonra ekledi:
“Herkes bir şey taşır. Kimisi sevdiği birini, kimisi bir hatıra. Ben de
böyleyim.”
O gün sarılmıştı bana. Teşekkür eder gibi. Ya da
sadece varlığımı onaylar gibi. Sonra hiçbir şey olmamış gibi masasına dönmüştü.
Üniversite yıllarında her
gün derslere eksiksiz gittiğini, bond çantasını yanından hiç ayırmadığını,
amfide daima en ön sırada oturduğunu gururla anlatıyordu. Askerde çok dayak
yediğini bile çekinmeden, sanki bir başarı hikâyesi anlatır gibi
paylaşabiliyordu.
Bir başka gün yemekhaneye giderken birini
durdurdu.
“Affedersiniz, çok ayıp ama bir şey soracağım,”
dedi.
Herkes sustu.
“Bir sigara verir misiniz?”
Kısa bir sessizlik oldu. Sonra biri güldü. O ise
hiçbir şey olmamış gibi sigarasını yakıp yürüdü.
Kurallara tuhaf bir bağlılığı vardı. Evrakların
zamanında gelmemesi ihtimali bile onu öfkelendiriyordu. “Gerekirse amirime
şikâyet ederim,” dediğini hatırlıyorum. Sanki düzen, onun kurallarıyla ayakta
durmalıydı.
Ama kendisi hiçbir düzene tam olarak sığmıyordu.
Sigara içerken elleri titrerdi. Sanki içindeki
dünya dışarıdan daha hızlı çalışıyordu.
Zamanla fark ettim: Aslında uyumsuz değildi.
Sadece herkesin kabul ettiği uyuma ait değildi.
Ofiste ben hariç herkes ona gülüyordu.
Ben gülmüyordum.
Ama onu da koruyamıyordum. Fazlasıyla yurt dışına gitme fikrine odaklanmıştım;
kendimi burada geçici görüyor, hiçbir şeyi düzeltmeye uğraşmıyordum.
Bir öğle arasında yemekhanede tek başına
oturuyordu.
Normalde etrafı kalabalık olurdu; o gün masa
sessizdi. Yemeğine dokunmuyor, sadece önüne bakıyordu.
Yan masada birkaç kişi onun hakkında konuşuyordu.
Seslerini kısmıyorlardı.
“Pirim de ne ya…”
Kısa bir kahkaha.
O duydu. Ya da duymamış gibi yaptı. Kaşığını
bıraktı. Bir an durdu. Sonra hiçbir şey söylemeden ayağa kalktı.
Tepsisini bırakırken geri döndü. Bakışı masada
takıldı. Sanki ilk kez gerçekten orada olmadığını fark etmiş gibiydi.
Sonra çıktı.
O gün kimse arkasından gülmedi. Çünkü ilk kez,
gülünecek biri değil; yalnız bir insan gibi görünmüştü.
Bir gün mesai bitimine doğru ayağa kalktı.
Sandalyeyi hafifçe geri itti. Çantasını aldı. Her zamanki gibi acele etmedi.
Ne erken ne geç… mesai saati dolduğunda kalkardı.
“İyi akşamlar,” dedi.
Ve gitti.
O gün kimse onun ardından bir şey söylemedi.
Ertesi gün gelmedi.
Sonraki gün de.
Bir daha hiç gelmedi.
HE SAID
“GOOD EVENING” AND JUST LEFT
"Wherever there is a human being, there is
an opportunity for kindness."
— Seneca
"He was the office joke. Then one day, he
quietly left. For the first time, what remained behind was not laughter, but
emptiness."
🎵 The Boxer
— Simon & Garfunkel
I was only six months into my professional life.
I had taken over the position of a colleague who had been transferred abroad,
and I was still trying to adjust to my new duties and responsibilities. In
truth, the whole story, for me, revolved around a single possibility: one day,
I might be sent abroad as well.
I had even enrolled in graduate school to
postpone my military service and keep that possibility alive. Everything I did
was for the day my turn would finally come.
And eventually, it did.
Around that time, a new colleague joined our
department. I was supposed to train him and hand over part of my workload
before moving on.
From the moment I saw him, he seemed different.
It was in his briefcase, his quick yet disjointed steps, and the way he always
walked leaning slightly forward. He was excited, but his excitement never
became confidence. Instead, it settled into a permanent state of nervousness.
Nothing I explained seemed to stick the first
time. The same questions returned again and again. After a while, our
conversations stopped feeling like training sessions and became echoes. It was
as if I were standing in an empty room, listening to my own voice bounce back
at me.
Over time, he began seeking my approval for
everything he did. Every decision made without it turned out wrong, and every
mistake found its way back to me. The workload I had hoped to pass on slowly
settled back onto my shoulders.
One day, he started calling me master.
The nickname spread through the office
surprisingly fast.
“So we've been here all these years and never
became masters—how did you manage it in six months?”
People joked. I laughed along.
But sometimes, inside that laughter, I felt as
though I were watching myself from a distance.
He, on the other hand, didn't seem bothered by
any of it.
Or at least, he appeared not to be.
He quickly became friendly with everyone.
Work, however, never became friendly with him.
Soon people stopped calling him by his first name
and started using his surname instead. Then they shortened it to a single
syllable. Then they added things to it. Every day it became something else.
He had become the office's source of
entertainment.
What was strange was that he never seemed
offended. Sometimes I couldn't tell whether people were making fun of him, or
whether he was somehow pulling everyone into a game only he understood.
I never joined that game.
My only concern was that he learn the job and
that I move one step closer to my goal—going abroad.
One day, he showed me his wallet.
Inside was a photograph of Bobby Fischer.
“I like chess,” he said.
Then he added:
“Everyone carries something. Some people carry
someone they love. Others carry a memory. This is mine.”
That day, he hugged me.
As if he were thanking me.
Or perhaps simply acknowledging that I existed.
Then he returned to his desk as though nothing
unusual had happened.
He used to talk proudly about his university
years—how he never missed a class, how he never went anywhere without his
briefcase, how he always sat in the front row of the lecture hall.
He could even talk about how often he had been
beaten during military service without the slightest embarrassment, telling it
almost as though it were an achievement.
Another day, on our way to the cafeteria, he
stopped a stranger.
“Excuse me,” he said, “this is a bit
embarrassing, but may I ask you something?”
Everyone went silent.
“Could I have a cigarette?”
There was a brief pause.
Then someone laughed.
He simply lit his cigarette and kept walking as
though nothing had happened.
He had a peculiar devotion to rules. Even the
possibility of paperwork arriving late could make him angry.
“If necessary, I'll report it to my supervisor,”
I remember him saying.
It was as if the entire order of things should
have been upheld by his rules.
Yet he himself never quite fit into any order.
His hands trembled whenever he smoked.
It was as though the world inside him moved
faster than the one outside.
Eventually, I realized something:
He wasn't maladjusted.
He simply didn't belong to the version of
adjustment everyone else had agreed upon.
Everyone in the office laughed at him except me.
I didn't laugh.
But I didn't protect him, either.
I was too focused on the idea of going abroad. I
saw myself as temporary here. I wasn't trying to fix anything.
One afternoon, I saw him sitting alone in the
cafeteria.
Usually, there were people around him. That day,
the table was quiet.
He wasn't eating.
He was simply staring ahead.
At the next table, a few coworkers were talking
about him.
They weren't lowering their voices.
“Master? Seriously?”
A short burst of laughter followed.
He heard them.
Or pretended not to.
He put down his spoon.
Paused for a moment.
Then stood up without saying a word.
As he returned his tray, he glanced back toward
the table.
His gaze lingered there.
As though, for the first time, he had realized he
had never truly been part of it.
Then he walked out.
No one laughed after him that day.
For the first time, he didn't look like someone
to laugh at.
He looked like a lonely human being.
One evening, near the end of the workday, he
stood up.
He pushed his chair back gently.
Picked up his briefcase.
For once, he wasn't in a hurry.
Never early, never late—he always left exactly
when working hours ended.
“Good evening,” he said.
And he left.
No one said anything after he was gone.
He didn't come in the next day.
Nor the day after that.
And then he never came back.
Yorumlar
Yorum Gönder