SAYFALARIN SATIRLARIN ARASINDA

"Öğrenirken öğretiriz."
— Seneca

"Bazı karşılaşmalar, aynı şehirde değil; aynı satırda başlar."

🎵  Vivaldi Guistion, RV 717-Jakub Jozef Orlinski

***

Ona ilk kez bir kitabın sayfalarının arasında rastladım.

Bana ilk söylediği şey, hayat boyu öğrenci olduğuydu. Sayfaların arasında geçirdiği yıllar, ona yalnızca bilgi değil, insanı durup düşündüren bir derinlik kazandırmıştı. Bu derinlik beni öylesine etkilemişti ki onunla yeniden satırlar arasında karşılaşma umudu, beni de daha çok kitap okuyan biri hâline getirmişti.

Onun okuduğu kitapları aynı zamanda okumak, aynı satırlara birlikte bakmak; nerelerde aynı düşündüğümüzü, nerelerde birbirimizden ayrıldığımızı hayal etmek... Okumanın ötesinde bambaşka bir heyecan yaratıyordu.

Bir kitabı okurken sık sık durup düşünüyordum.

"Bu satırları o da okumuştur. Acaba onu nasıl bir yolculuğa çıkardı?"

Zamanla bu merak, benim aynı sayfadan hangi anlamları çıkaracağımdan bile daha baskın hâle geldi. Bazı cümleleri, onun sayesinde değil; onun da okumuş olabileceğini düşündüğüm için ikinci kez okuyordum. Böylece onunla yalnızca kitaplarda değil, düşüncelerimde de buluşmaya başlamıştım. Onu satırlarda arıyor, zihnimde buluyordum.

Fakat onun, sayfaların arasında geçen zamanının dışında da bir dünyası olmalıydı. Zaman geçtikçe o dünyayı da merak etmeye başladım. Dünya görüşü kadar gündelik hayatını da... Sıradan bir günü nasıl geçiyordu? Hangi sokaklarda yürüyordu? Bir cümle üzerinde benim kadar uzun duruyor muydu?

Gerçek miydi?

Bir gün ona dokunabilir miydim?

Yoksa bütün bunlar, satırların arasındaki boşlukları dolduran zihnimin sessiz bir oyunu muydu?

Hayır.

Buna inanmak istemiyordum. O, hayal gücümün ürünü değil; tam tersine, hayal gücüme ilham veren gerçeğin ta kendisiydi. Bir gün karşıma çıkacak ve o ana kadar yalnızca satırlar arasında tanıdığım insanın gerçekten var olduğunu anlayacaktım.

Onu tanıyordum.

Ama bu tanışıklık bana yetmiyordu.

Henüz gerçek dünyada karşılaşmamıştık.

Yine de biliyordum ki bazı insanlar hayatımıza girmeden de bizi değiştirebilir. Ben, onu kitapların sayfalarında gördüğüm günden beri yavaş yavaş değişiyor; bir gün aynı sayfanın değil, aynı hayatın içinde karşılaşacağımız anı merakla bekliyordum.

 

BETWEEN THE LINES

"While we teach, we learn."
— Seneca

"Some encounters do not begin in the same city, but on the same line of a page."

🎵 Vivaldi – Giustino, RV 717
Jakub Józef Orliński


I met her for the first time between the pages of a book.

The first thing she ever told me was that she was a lifelong student.

Years spent among books had given her something far greater than knowledge. They had shaped a quiet depth—a way of seeing the world that made you pause, question, and return to your own thoughts with greater honesty. That depth drew me in so completely that, without noticing, I became someone who read not simply to learn, but to find her again.

There was something strangely intimate about reading the books she had read. We were separated by time, by place, perhaps by an entire lifetime, yet our eyes wandered across the same sentences. I wondered where she had stopped, which passages had lingered in her mind, which ideas she had quietly disagreed with.

Reading was no longer a solitary act.

It became a silent conversation.

Again and again, I would find myself stopping halfway through a page.

"She has read these words," I would think. "Where did they take her?"

Eventually, that question became more compelling than my own search for meaning. Some paragraphs deserved a second reading, not because I had failed to understand them, but because I imagined she had once rested her eyes on the very same lines.

Without realizing it, I had begun meeting her not only in books, but in thought itself.

I searched for her among sentences.

I found her in my imagination.

Yet she could not belong only to books.

Surely there was a life waiting for her once the covers closed.

I began wondering about that life just as much as I wondered about her ideas. What did an ordinary morning look like for her? Which streets knew the sound of her footsteps? Did she pause over a single sentence for as long as I did, allowing it to echo long after the page had turned?

Was she real?

Would there ever come a day when I could reach out and touch the hand of the person I had known only through words?

Or had my mind quietly woven a presence into the empty spaces between paragraphs, giving shape to someone who had never truly existed?

No.

I refused to believe that.

She was never a fantasy born from my imagination.

She was the reason my imagination had learned to dream.

One day, I told myself, our paths would cross. And when they did, I would discover that the woman I had known only through books had been real all along.

In many ways, I already knew her.

Yet that kind of knowing was never enough.

We had not met beneath the same sky.

We had only shared the same pages.

Still, life has a curious way of changing us long before it introduces us to the people responsible for those changes.

Since the day I first found her between the pages of a book, I had been changing, quietly and almost imperceptibly, carrying within me the hope that one day we would meet—not merely on the same page, but within the same story.

 


Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar